Salt Lake Valley Health Department
Plan Review Application (661 KB)
Equipment and Plumbing Table (68 KB)
General Construction Requirements and Commonly Overlooked Items
- The void spaces surrounding pipes, conduits, and other utility line penetrations through floors, walls, ceilings, and equipment shall be sealed and finished to be smooth, cleanable, and non-absorbent. This includes holes cut through the bottom of cabinets for floor sink access such as with soda dispensing stations.
- Light intensity shall be:
a. At least 50 foot candles at a surface where employees work with food, or where employee safety is a factor.
b. At least 20 foot candles in areas used for hand washing, ware washing, equipment and utensil storage, and in toilet rooms.
c. At least 10 foot candles in walk-in refrigeration units, dry storage and all other areas.
- Smoking is not permitted in any food establishment in accordance with R392-510 Utah Indoor Clean Air Act.
- All conduit, equipment drain lines, and supply lines must be spaced above the floor at a recommended minimum distance of 4 inches to facilitate floor cleaning.
- A designated area that is separate from food and clean food equipment is required to be provided for the storage of employees’ personal belongings such as purses and jackets.
- Adequate number of toilets and toilet rooms is determined by the Local Building Inspector.
- Any shelf or cabinet used for storing food, equipment, or utensils must be a minimum distance of 6 inches above the floor to facilitate cleaning.
- All light fixtures above areas of exposed food or food equipment must be equipped with light shields or shatterproof bulbs.
- Surfaces on which dumpsters and other waste containers are placed must be made of smooth concrete or asphalt.
- It is recommended that any wall that is subject to splash from sinks or warewashing machines be finished with a durable waterproof material such as FRP, tile, or equivalent. For sinks, the wall finish material should extend from the floor to at least 18 inches above the faucet. For warewashing machines, the wall finish material should extend from the floor to at least 18 inches above the top of the machine.
- Chemical dispensers must not be connected to mop sink faucets that are equipped with an atmospheric vacuum breaker (AVB). SLVHD recommends a separate tap to supply water for chemical dispensers.