Salt Lake Valley Health Department
Green Business Program
Implement Salt Lake County Green Business
We will help participating businesses set 3-5 simple goals for the upcoming year. These might include:
- Reducing water use by 10%.
- Reducing electricity use by 10%.
- Reducing waste hauls by one per month through recycling efforts.
- Purchasing local products.
- Educating workers to improve pollution prevention.
Goal #1: Reduce water use by 10%
- Install free low-flow pre-rinse nozzle - Example (368 KB)
- Train staff on water conservation.
- Purchase waterless urinals, low-flow toilets.
Goal #2: Reduce trash hauls by 1 per month
- Recycle as much as possible/hire recycling hauler.
- Train employees on proper recycling.
- Post multi-lingual signs at bins.
Goal #3: Reduce electricity use by 10%
- Switch from regular lights to fluorescent lights.
- Regularly inspect and clean HVAC filters.
- Install inexpensive motion-actived switches in bathrooms.
Goal #4: Improve pollution prevention techniques
- Use dry cleaning methods (sweep instead of pressure washing, etc.)
- Train employees on pollution prevention.
- Switch to less toxic cleaners.
Goal #5: Become a more sustainable business
- Buy renewable energy from Rocky Mountain Power's Blue Sky program.
- Join Local First Utah.
- Purchase recycled paper products, eliminate bottled water and plastic soda bottles.